Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Shadow Angel

USA
931 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  14:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I just finished this book called The Forestwife by Theresa Tomlinson. It completely reversed my way of thinking about Robin Hood and Marian. If there are any fans of the two out there, I suggest this book. I need a new book now though. Any ideas?

Be as a Shadow: Stealthy and Silent.
Go to Top of Page

Kalowen
Advanced Member

USA
4472 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  19:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marley and Me by John Grogan. I'm almost to the sad part .

Go to Top of Page

Piper

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  19:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading House Harkonnen.

Self is the only prison that can ever bind the soul
Keep to the beam
ka

PiPer
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  21:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished The Sword of Angels a few days ago. Ah man what a great ending. John Marco is fantastic. Now I'm reading Vlad the Last Confesion. It's the story of Vlad Dracula told by his best friend Ion, his misstress Ilona, and his confessor. Now the author C.C Humphrys didnt bull shit all of this. He did his research and he was very thurough. The characters are all real characters from his life and the events like Vlad and his younger brother Radu being held hostige by the Turks, His elder brother Mecies death. How do I know its acruate because I studdyed it my self. I've barly started and already I think its great.

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it does it still make a sound?
Go to Top of Page

Tas kender hero

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2009 :  15:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ugh new moon from the twilight lot but its getting on my nerves that Bella is sssoooooo needy I hate needy chicks!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2009 :  16:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Shakey", the Neil Young Biography.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Kalowen
Advanced Member

USA
4472 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2009 :  17:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik
Go to Top of Page

Piper

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2009 :  18:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading Do androids dream of electric sheep?

self is the only prison that can ever bind the soul
keep to the beam
ka

PiPer
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  16:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't hate me. Weis and Hickman aren't my favorite authors anymore. In fact, they have been blown away. Robert Jordan is now my favorite. I'm on the 4th book of the Wheel of Time series and I can't get enough. This is ridiculous how good these books are. Please don't throw anything at me, but I think he has surpassed Tolkien in the fantasy genre. Too bad he passed away before the series finished.

Check out my fanfic on Lucius' and Arial's romance at the following link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4658602/1/We_Met_at_the_Inn_of_the_Last_Home
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  16:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wheel of Time? sounds familer, could you give me a brife synopsis? Book list?

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it does it still make a sound?
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  17:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Book one: The Eye of the World
Book two: The Great Hunt
Book three: The Dragon Reborn
Book four: The Shadow Rising (I'm reading this one right now)
Book five: The Fires of Heaven
Book six: Lord of Chaos
Book seven: A Crown of Swords
Book eight: The Path of Daggers
Book nine: Winter's Heart
Book ten: Crossroads of Twilight
Book eleven: Knife of Dreams

quote:
Originally from Wikipedia

At the dawn of time, a deity known as the Creator forged the universe and the Wheel of Time, which spins the lives of men and women as its threads. The Wheel has seven spokes, each representing an age, and it is rotated by the One Power, which flows from the True Source. The One Power is divided into male and female halves, saidin and saidar, which work in opposition and in unison to drive the Wheel. Those humans who can use this power are known as channelers; the principal organization of such channelers in the books is called the Aes Sedai or 'Servants of All' in the Old Tongue.

The Creator imprisoned its antithesis, Shai'tan, at the moment of creation, sealing him away from the Wheel. However, in a time called the Age of Legends, an Aes Sedai experiment inadvertently breached the Dark One's prison, allowing his influence to seep back into the world. He rallied the powerful, the corrupt and the ambitious to his cause and these servants began an effort to free the Dark One fully from his prison, so he might remake time and reality in his own image. In response to this threat, the Wheel spun out the Dragon, a channeler of immense power, to be a champion for the Light. In the Age of Legends the Dragon was a man named Lews Therin Telamon, who eventually rose to command the Aes Sedai and their allies in the struggle against the Dark One's forces. After a grueling ten-year war, three generations after the Dark One's prison was breached, Telamon led his forces to victory in a daring assault on the site of the earthly link to the Dark One's prison, and was able to seal it off. However, at this moment of victory the Dark One tainted saidin, driving male channelers of the One Power insane. The male channelers devastated the world with the One Power, unleashing earthquakes and tidal waves that reshaped the world. Their leader, Lews Therin in his madness killed his friends, his family, and finally himself. Eventually, the last male channeler was killed or cut off from the One Power, leaving the human race all but destroyed and only women able to wield the One Power safely. The Aes Sedai reconstituted and guided humanity out of this dark time. Mankind now lived under the shadow of a prophecy that the Dark One would break free from his prison and the Dragon would be reborn to face him once more, raining destruction upon the world in the process of saving it from the Dark One.

Over the next three and a half thousand years, the human race returns to a level of technology roughly comparable to that of the Medieval era (although cultural institutions and traditions seem closer to the 19th Century), with the difference that women enjoy full equality with men in most societies, and are superior in some. This is put down to the power and influence of the female-only Aes Sedai spilling over into everyday life. Several major wars have ravaged the main continent since the defeat of the Dark One, such as the Trolloc Wars, when the surviving servants of the Dark One tried to destroy civilization once more but were defeated by an alliance of nations led by the Aes Sedai; and the War of the Hundred Years, a devastating civil war that followed the fall of a continent-spanning empire ruled by the High King, Artur Hawkwing. These wars have prevented the human race from regaining the power and high technology of the Age of Legends, and also left humanity divided. Even the prestige of the Aes Sedai has fallen, with their shrinking numbers and the emergence of organizations such as the Children of the Light, a militant order who hold that all who dabble with the One Power are servants of the Shadow. The nations of the modern era are able to unite against the warrior-clans of the Aiel, who cross into the western kingdoms on a mission of vengeance after they suffered a grievous insult, but are too divided to work effectively together in other areas.

Check out my fanfic on Lucius' and Arial's romance at the following link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4658602/1/We_Met_at_the_Inn_of_the_Last_Home
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  18:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RJ is great. I'm glad you're getting into him Scann.

Next try GRR Martin.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Piper

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  19:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read wheel of time not to long ago. They are good I am making a friend of mine read them know.... ... now if only I can get Kalowen to read them she would like them but she doesn’t listen to me!!!! Oh well.

Keep to the beam
ka

PiPer
Go to Top of Page

Kalowen
Advanced Member

USA
4472 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  19:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm NOT reading them. I have a good reason just so you know. A couple of good reasons acually.
Go to Top of Page

Piper

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  19:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would like them though
Maybe one of these days I will convince you.

Keep to the beam
Ka

PiPer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000