Page: of 14

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  23:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slorg

I haven't seen it around, though I do know the books from when I used to work in a bookstore.

The problem with books here in Australia is that a paperback will set you back at least $17, and hardcovers are generally $50 - $75.

It's amazing that there are any literate Aussies at those prices, but then everything is overpriced here.

And I complain about $25 for Hardcover books! If there ever was anyone that needed and ebook reader it's Slorg. That is just NUTS!

quote:
Originally posted by james

ps: Vodka is a devil that makes you go running around in the wilderness like Zombies are chasing you. Please drink in moderation!
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get ripped off on everything.

A new video game will set you back $120. No, not the system. Just the game.

Oh, and I've been reading The Jester by James Patterson lately. Already read it twice, but it's worth a 3rd read.

Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  23:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I purchased a book called The Worlds of Amano. Its filled with some of Yoshitaka Amano's best work. Its absolutly breath takeing. He is the most reconised Japonise artist in the world. He even did the charactur desines for Final Fantasy 1-X, and Vampier Hunter D.
Go to Top of Page

Scanndalus
Advanced Member

USA
2566 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  12:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got The Eye of the World. It is the first book in the Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan. 814 pages. THis one could take a while.

quote:
Originally posted by james

ps: Vodka is a devil that makes you go running around in the wilderness like Zombies are chasing you. Please drink in moderation!
Go to Top of Page

tw_fester

Canada
1161 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  13:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I was on vacation, a buddy of mine lent me "the Kite Runner" and "lady Chatterly's Lover". Trying to figure out which one to read first.

It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now,to give it a perfect ending,was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Alex -A Clockwork Orange

Besides... that dagger was Flint's.
Go to Top of Page

Genghis
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  12:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished Cormac McCarthy's "Child of God." Really good and really weird.
I just started "Wizardwar" by Elaine Cunningham, 3rd book of the Counselors & Kings trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  21:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just picked up Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I only read chapter one and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I finished Nabokov's Despair and I must say that I've found a new favorite author.

"How do God and Devil combine to form a live dog?"

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 26 Aug 2008 21:23:33
Go to Top of Page

Kalowen
Advanced Member

USA
4472 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  20:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone who liked Twilight will like the book I just finished. It's called Jessica's Guide to Dating the Dark Side. But it doesn't hit the shelves until Febuary 2009 so put it on your to read list.

"Everybody Lies"-House
Kalowen
Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  02:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all those touting George R. R. Martin, no, I haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I did read one of his earlier novels--Fevre Dream. It's about steamboats and the Mississippi river. Oh, and vampires. I enjoyed it, not as much as I thought I would given the reviews, but it was very good. I downed it in one night.

I've been on a severe reading kick lately, having read:

Pagan Christianity? How very disconcerting that most traditions in churches today--from sitting in pews to the office of the pastor itself--don't have their roots in NT Christianity.

Skulduggery Pleasant A well dressed, witty, wizard detective who is also a skeleton who saves the world. Ordering the next one as I type.

Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle. I feel ashamed having not read any of her novels...the woman is an inspiration.

And now concurrently reading Strange Cargo by Jeffrey Barlough (man deserves to be more known) and The Monsters, a book about Mary Shelley and the others involved during the night that inspired the novel Frankenstein. Because if there's anything I love more than vampires, it's reanimated stitched-together poetry-spouting corpses.

---
I'm not a snob. Just overeducated.
DLMS Forums: We whinge because we care.
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  04:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read Double Cross by James Patterson.

Pretty entertaining stuff about 2 serial killers coming after detective Alex Cross (there's a bunch of Alex Cross novels). A fairly entertaining duo of villains in this one with zero conscience.

Go to Top of Page

Kalowen
Advanced Member

USA
4472 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  20:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm reading an interesting Biology of a man named Paul Erdos (granted it's for a school project) but it is got none the less. it's called The Man Who Loved Only Numbers

"Everybody Lies"-House
Kalowen
Go to Top of Page

angel564

Australia
77 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  03:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Brisingr by Christopher Paolini.

"A chicken with its neck wrung is different than a chicken with its head chopped off. But does it matter to the chicken?"-Tasslehoff
Go to Top of Page

Slorg

Australia
996 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  03:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm now reading 2nd Chance by James Patterson.

It's the 2nd book in the "Women's Murder Club" series about a group of 4 women (An assistant DA, a homicide detective, a criminal medical examiner, and a journalist) who all use their skills and different insights to solve murder cases.

It's more entertaining than it sounds. The killers that James Patterson comes up with are always interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still on “The Seafort Saga” .....yes I know Slorg, I am a... S L O W reader.....

The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".

Fizban Who?
Go to Top of Page

Tas kender hero

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  09:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading no humans involved by Kelley Aromstrong i'm really enjoying her books this is the 4th i'v read it aboud a nacromancer

but I'm gunna buy Brisingr next week so i can see how the story ends!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000