The Shannara Chronicles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Golden_eyes

Canada
702 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2021 :  04:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone end up watching this TV show from 2016? I know there are some Terry Brooks fans on here, so I'm betting on it.

I thought it was decently done in a few areas, but have to say, they focused on Elfstones, which is my least favourite book in the Shannara series. It's been a while since I read Elfstones specifically, but I thought they took a lot of creative liberties with the content. It felt like it was really trying to appeal to all sorts of fringe audiences and lost the real point of the story--rather upsetting.

It was entertaining, though, and from a visual standpoint, it was beautiful. It'd be nice if Dragonlance was picked up in a similar fashion (while avoiding the pitfalls Shannara made).

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  01:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched the first few episodes when it first aired. I liked it for the most part though I found the ruined sky scrapers in the backgrounds weird since I dont know much about Terry Brooks work.

I thought that it looked good though.

Dragonlance would make a good tv series I think but it would need someone behind the wheel who would take it seriously and appreciate it.

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page

Golden_eyes

Canada
702 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  15:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, it's later in the series that the skyscrapers are explained. This is probably a theme that developed as Terry was writing this series, and it is presented very subtly. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Shannara series links up with another series he wrote alongside Shannara.

I don't know if it's considered a spoiler but:

It's revealed later on that the Shannara series is set thousands of years in the future on Earth, after a nuclear apocalypse. IMO, the series starts of very Tolkien-esque when Terry was just beginning his career, but then he starts adding a lot of unique ideas and dropping hints about science & Earth.

I think it would be hard for someone nowadays to read the original Sword of Shannara because storytelling has evolved since then (as it is with LoTR). It's probably why the TV series started with Elfstones book, which a lot of people enjoyed. One of my favourites is The Wishsong of Shannara, which is when I feel like Brooks really started to branch off of the conventional fantasy themes and into his own unique elements. I read that the TV series was supposed to go into this book but it got cancelled before Wishsong was made because of a shift in the network

If they ever make a live-action Drangonlance series or films, let's hope they get someone like Peter Jackson on the project who won't put up with the forced marketing BS or any unnecessary story changes. That man is a treasure. Sometimes, like Shannara, there are external factors as well, like when companies just sit on the film rights to a series and never make it. So frustrating.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000