Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Fantasy Discussion
 Books
 What order should I read the books after Legends?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coty
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  12:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

My name is Coty and I had a question for anyone willing to help me out. I was starting to read Summer Flame but stopped because it seemed I should maybe read Second Generation first?

I have read the Chronicles and Legends series loved them both very much and was continuing my Dragonlance obsession with Summer Flame but I want to read the books in the best possible order.

Any help would be appreciated I guess I am new to the Dragonlance world since I have not read ALL the books yet.

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  00:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello ,

Before you read Summer Flame, you should read the Second Generation. Then read Summer Flame, Fallen Sun, Lost Star, and then Vanished Moon in that order. There are also three books that fill in the gaps between the original chronicles if you're interested: Dwarven Depths, Highlord Skies, and the Hourglass Mage. Those books go along with the original Autumn Twilight, Winter Night, and Spring Dawning. There are many other books as well such as the Raistlin Chronicles (if you're interested in more about a wonderful character such as him ), which consists of the Soulforged and Brothers in Arms. Those are the main ones that I can think of, so I'd start with Second Generation now .

ps. I haven't read all of these books yet either, and I'm still on the Second Generation, but it's definitely worth it.

"What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night."
Raistlin Majere - Dragons of Winter Night

Edited by - RaistlinsLight23 on 18 Jan 2012 00:58:39
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  04:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raist just basicly said it all right there man perfectly The only other book I could recomend to you, wich really isnt a part of any of the chronicals realy is Dragons in the Archives, wich is a collection of short stories by Margret Wies and Tracy Hickmen as well as other authors some conserning the Chompanions and others the history of Krynn. It also contains the history of how Dragonlance was born. A worth while buy if you can find it.

"Ladies and Gentilman welcome to my life again" Sonata Artica
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  05:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good choices.... if you need something more Coty try this place....

http://www.dlnexus.com/products/reading.aspx

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-

Edited by - Fizban Who on 18 Jan 2012 05:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Coty
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone!! I knew once I started reading SUmmer FLame I should have read 2nd G first. SO I stopped. I have not bought 2nd G yet though. Ebay has it reasonably priced though. I have recently read the Hobbit too and I have to say I like Dragonlance better loved the Hobbit though...
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  19:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are most welcome Coty, hope that this helped you out !!!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

-Edmund Burke-

Edited by - Fizban Who on 27 Jan 2012 01:42:19
Go to Top of Page

RaistlinsLight23
Advanced Member

USA
2443 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  01:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome . I also love the Hobbit very much.
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  23:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You`re very welcome Coty and it was our pleasure

Go to Top of Page

Coty
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  15:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expecting my copy of Second Generation today, I started fellowship of the ring the other day so I will probably go ahead and read that trilogy before I get back on my Dragonlance reading, but I am excited to read 2nd Generation because I was enjoying Summer Flame before I stopped reading it.

I know 2ndG is about children of the characters I loved in the Chronicles and Legends, Caramon was my favorite character (I am always the tank in RPGs with my buddies) and I am pretty sure his kids are in the 2ndG book...I loved the Legends trilogy almost as much as the Chronicles maybe even a little more..it is close
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  19:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep Caramon`s kids are in there alright, as well as Tanis`s son, ande Sturm and Kitara`s boy unfortunately Raistlins daughter does not make an apperance but Summer Flame makes up for that Hope that you enjoy it

Go to Top of Page

Coty
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  14:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished 2nd Generation loved it. Enjoyed Caramon's kids story as well as the others. Starting Summer Flame now. Really enjoying these books. My older brother told me after summer flame they are not as good. But a friend told me the War of Souls trilogy was good though. I like these characters, it was sad reading Caramon and Tanis getting older though, it is almost like you want more adventures with the original crew. Also i notice Riverwind and Goldmoon's kids are really not talked about other than Caramon's boys liking thier girls.

*SPOILER* Anyway Summer Flame so far is pretty cool I figured Raist's daughter must be one of the "mud people" elves at the beginning I forgot their name. Anyway thanks for all your replies! Hopefully one day one of my books will become as fun as these are to read.
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  05:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The War of the Souls is pretty awsome and I would say its just as good as the war of The Lance but a lot more goes on and it can get a little confuseing but its still good. I know exactly what you mean, but its fun seeing all of the companions older and with kids of their own. River Wind and Gold Moon just kind of drop off the map for a while since their story was pretty much all told.

No spoilers for us we have all already read it lol

Go to Top of Page

Coty
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  19:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will probably have to get War of Souls Trilogy after I finish Summer Flame. I may read my Song of Fire and Ice box set I got for Christmas from my wife first. Love the show, Game of Thrones is great, my older brother says the Books are amazing 1-3 he was not fond of book 4 though? Anyway, I am a Dragonlance fan more so than anything else I have been reading. Just love the characters and the world of Krynn
Go to Top of Page

dark mage

Canada
29908 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  23:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear all of that man. Song of Fire and Ice has so far been unable to catch my attenion just because....I dont know it just doenst look very interesting but Game of Thrones is definetly on my list. Dragonlance is definetly the only fantasy serise that has ever touched me so deeply. I felt genuinly sad when ever one of the companions was faced with horrible tragedy or passed on. Dragonlance fan forever

Go to Top of Page

Coty
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  11:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I agree no book has ever got me so involved with the characters, just recently Second Generation introducing me to Tanin and Sturm and Palin, Caramon's sons, whom I enjoyed so much. Then reading Summer Flame, lets just say I was unhappy after reading about Steel and Palin's meeting and circumstances. About half way through Summer Flame and loving it as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fizban Who

USA
32527 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  17:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, you read about the misfortune but can not put the book down.... Glad you are enjoying them Coty....

-Edmund Burke-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000