Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  17:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall a milk brother with violet eyes. Damn it! I've just finished reading all four books again for the second time too. Do you know in what book this is mentioned????

"Per me si va ne l'etterno dolore" - Dante Alighieri
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  17:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is a squire in one of the places Arya is in, I don't remember which book. I think he is from Dorne, he has the violet eyes and mentions that he was Jon's milk brother.

-----
Thats the inherit beauty of the single file line. They can only kill the person in front! - Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  23:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sirch

He is a squire in one of the places Arya is in, I don't remember which book. I think he is from Dorne, he has the violet eyes and mentions that he was Jon's milk brother.

-----
Thats the inherit beauty of the single file line. They can only kill the person in front! - Sarge

After much searching I found the passage. It starts on page 595 of A Storm of Swords c2000 paperback edition and it's when Arya is in Dondarrion's camp and they capture the Hound.

"Arya had thought that all Dornishmen were small and swarthy, with black hair and dark eyes, but Ned (the milk boy) had big blue eyes, so dark that they looked almost purple. And his hair was pale blonde, more ash than honey...."

Ned then goes on to explain how he is milk brother to Jon and that his former wetnurse Wylla is Jon's mother. When Arya asks him which House he belongs to he proclaims that he is Edric Dayne, the Lord of Starfell.

Now here's something. Before Edric states who he is Arya asks him if he's ever killed anyone. He states that he "is only twelve". Now, if Carlin is correct and Edric is actually Aegon Targaryen, that would make him younger than Dany (who is 13 I believe). But wasn't Aegon born and murdered before Dany was even born on Dragonstone?

Edited by - Vassor Doss on 25 Apr 2007 23:26:52
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  00:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to take into account the advancement of... however many years have gone by since the beginning of the book. I think Dany was 13 or 14 in the first book. I don't think his age fits correctly but I guess I was wrong about the Dornishmen and purple eyes (didn't the sister of Ser Arthur Dayne have violet eyes?), which makes his hair and eye color suspect.

I dunno why I thought he was named Plumm.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Carlin

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  01:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sirch: because I said he was, I thought he was, but Vassor is correct he's a Dayne. Also, Vassor is right, he couldn't be Aegon...but just who the heck is he? Yes Ashara was said to have violet eyes (so spoke Meera of Moat Cailin when she told of her dancing with the wolf pup). So there could be the blood of Old Valyeria in the Daynes, not unheard of. Maybe the tables will be turned and Dany will have two husbands instead of the male of the line having two wives - go Dany! hehe
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just finished A Feast for Crows again and now I'm going back thru it since this whole milk brother thing. Let me just sum up a bit from what I've been reading....(most of it you all probably know already).

Edric Dayne is the Lord of Starfell who's bannerman is Ser Gerold Dayne, the Darkstar. It is the Darkstar who attempts to kill Princess Myrcella when he and Princess Arianne try and "help" her escape. It's obvious that Arianne did not know that Ser Gerold would try and kill her. So I'm wondering what his motive was...hmmm

Doran Martell, brother to Rhaegar Targaryen's deceased wife Elia and who is also Arianne's father, had promised to have Arianne wed Rhaegar's son Viserys. Obviously, that's not going to happen now thanks to Khal Drogo. But was this pact made between Doran and Rhaegar/Elia before their deaths? An arrangement to further keep the Houses of Targaryen and Martell entwined?

Arianne's brother Quentyn has been away from Sunspear on some "secret" mission to apparently bring back "fire and blood" and "vengence" as Doran Martell puts it for House Martell. He must mean the vengence for the grievences caused by House Baratheon, Lannister and Stark.

I have a feeling that the final head of the dragon may still yet come from Dorne.

Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dorne is a place you can look at, It is also possible to consider the Wall and perhaps the Maesters? I don't suppose it wouldn't be a bad place to hide a Targaryen descendant.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  00:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been three months since our last post here......Martin is killing me without any updates on his site. If I don't read Dance of Dragons by years end I'm gonna rip his beard out!

"All things serve the (Jim) Beam."
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  03:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally some new news. Here's a link to some miniature figurines sculpted of some characters from Westeros (see the lower left article):

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news.html

Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  02:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He said in one of those blog posts that he did a reading of the prologue he is using for Dance, I guess I can excuse him with the speed at which he writes his stories since they are 1000 pages long. Although I wonder how he wrote Storm of Swords in one year after Clash of Kings.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  03:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to have you back.
And not just for the fact that you're the only other person who posts on this topic.

I thought Dance of Dragons was completed at the same time as Crows? At least, at the end of it he writes that he was going to make Crows cover half the stories of all the characters but instead decided to write all of the story for half of the characters. That leads me to believe that at least half of Dragons was already completed at the time Crows came out.

Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  13:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also saw him make a post saying that he thought he was going to have dance cover the other half of the characters up to the end of Crows but then continue on with all of them past it.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  21:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question for whoever is interested in responding, it is something I was pondering. I seem to be able to find evidence of most every one of the gods mentioned in the book but I do not really recall an instance in which the seven gods of the sept actually did anything for anyone or answered anyones prayers, least of which their most faithful servants.

Am I looking at it wrong and these gods (or this god) working in a higher order and more mysterious ways then the other, am I just missing some sign or significant move they made for people or do they simply fail to exist?

We have Beric Dondarrion and other being brought back to life by R'holler, the crows saving Sam and Coldhands appearing suddenly, a crying weirdwood door opening its mouth to permit Bran after Sam said his words etc.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Carlin

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  10:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you won't believe me...but I emailed Mr Martin using the address on his site, wishing him the best for the new book and to take his time, it's always worth the wait.
He answered me back (yes it was a real email, not an autoresponse type of dealie)! It was only two lines:

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate your support... and your patience.

George R.R. Martin
http://www.georgerrmartin.com

Now...while it isn't a detailed exchange...as my old dad used to say, 'it's better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick' lmao
And he is trying all...I would rather wait a few years and get just what I was after than have him rush it and it be crap. As an amateur writer myself, I was over the moon just to get the email lol
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  19:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Carlin and I do want him to take his time and not put out "crap", but my literary world almost ended when Stephen King got into the car accident and almost died without finishing the Dark Tower series. Because of his accident he put out the final volumes in record time.

This is Martin's magnus opus. He should write the final books like he may not live to see tomorrow. You never know what could happen.

Sure that's selfish, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind since we're the ones paying for his fancy house.

I prefer the crickets to your voice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000