Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Occamsrazor

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  02:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the key elements to any good Fantasy Fiction setting and subsequent novels is originality and introduction of new, strange races. What is your all-time favorite Fantasy Fiction race, and why?

As for me, I would say it would have to be a toss up between Kender and Illithids (Mind Flayers). The Kender are a diminutive, very misunderstood race, akin to halflings of other worlds, considered by most on Krynn to be outright thieves, are ever cheerful and unshakeable, insatiably curious, and absolutely fearless. This combination makes for quite a colorful character. They love jails, and endeavor to visit as many as they can, though only until each one gets boring. Things strangely "fall" into a kender's pouches "by accident", or were put there for "safe keeping". Locks are considered a nuisance, and the whole concept of them should be banned.

Calling a kender a thief is the biggest insult you can give them, and they will almost assuredly retort that they are "not a thief! I am a handler." Because in Kender society, the term of owning something has very loose if any meaning, anything in a kender's possession for more than three weeks is considered a family heirloom.

Their insatiable curiosity combined with absolute fearlessness, is actually what defines a kender. They wish to know everything that goes on in the world, and yearn for new experiences--even death is considered a great adventure, though they do not have a death wish--which often gets them into trouble. Their fearlessness is such that it is not unheard of for a kender to walk across the snout of a sleeping red dragon, and look him in the eye just to have had the experience. Often this behavior perplexes a kender's enemies such, that the kender is able to get the upper hand.

Illithids are strange creatures of the Færûn Underdark of immense psionic powers. They are creatures of nightmares, having bulbous heads, long slimy fingers, and tenticles for feet and mouths. They essentially resemble an upright walking squid.

An evil race, and vastly misunderstood, Mind Flayers often ally themselves with Drow, who grudgingly respect their mind powers. Little is known about them, but as for an interesting race, and originality, I pick them as a favorite.

Please share your ideas for a favorite race, and why?

"All things being equal, the simplest answer tends to be correct!" --Scientific principal known as Occams Razor

kender
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  17:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kender of course.
I am sympathetic to the elven race though. Imagine having to deal with us humans everyday. lol Every race in DL is unique. That is why I love this series so much. With all the books and story lines you can find yourself being there with them. Seeing things from their point of view. Even the Draconians have a place in the world. Currently reading "The Icewall Trilogy". Ogres need love too. LOL

there's nothing more dangerous, than a bored Kender.
Go to Top of Page

hytanthas

52 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any of the small races (gnomes, dwarves, kender, halflings, etc) I dont know why exactly, for kender they are simply awesome, they are hillarious yet theyre not the kind of comedy relief thats holds nothing but comedy, they add meening to the story and they themselves have a purpose besides just being so comical. I like gnomes because they are so "over the top" i guess would be the way to say it. Dwarves are different than most of the shorter races, they are more serious and strict and really really cool, i like them simply because they are so awesome, its hard to describe why. i generally like all the other small races just because of the personalities they are usually stereotyped into, its hard to describe but kinda like what i said for kender.

~my name is lipsmacker druelbucket, crown prince of solamnia~ ~tas~
Go to Top of Page

Vassor Doss
Advanced Member

USA
2224 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fraggles. It just seems like it would be great to hang out in caves, have grand explorations,and eat doozer sticks and radishes all day long. It also seems like alot of fun to outwit the Gorgs and ask a pile of trash for advice.

"Per me si va ne l'etterno dolore" - Dante Alighieri
Go to Top of Page

kender
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  17:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol I forgot about them.

there's nothing more dangerous, than a bored Kender.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Darkshade

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  16:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness, there are a few contenders. Kender, gnomes, elves, dragons...probably kender by a whisker.

And so at last
As chance would have it
The soulforged,
The stainless will rise
Go to Top of Page

Dark Magik

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  00:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id ave to pick a gold or silver dragon. They get to fly, do magic, and all that other good stuff.....

'Count me in,' said Tasslehoff, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. 'What are we doing?'"
Go to Top of Page

CHANKO

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  01:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do Humans count as a fantasy race?? heh. It took me a long time before I strayed from the human race and played a....MINOTAUR?

Yup...well-groomed sword-n-shield wielding Paladin to a stinky twohanded axe-brusin' MACHINE-O-DOOM! And, I gotta tell ya...Minotaurs bring a nuance to Lay on Hands.

Eth Sularus oth Mithas

Go to Top of Page

elvish lad

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  19:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dragons are my favourite fantasy creatures because of the power and beauty they have and the awe-inspiring it would give to you. elves i do like as well. lets not forget the Kenders, who have a place in my heart. anyone who has read the DL books would have at least a small place in their heart for the Kenders.
"up thi sky blues"
elvish lad
Go to Top of Page

Faros Es-Kalin
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  01:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minotaur is by far the most superior race.
Go to Top of Page

Fingolfin Taralom
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  17:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faros Es-Kalin

Minotaur is by far the most superior race.

ah i like them aswell but i would say the dark elves or drows as some call them

Live with honor and die with honor
Go to Top of Page

Gilthanas
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  09:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna go out on limb and say . . . wookiees. I mean how can you NOT love wookiees. They are so big and loveable, and if you save one's life you get to basically own it.
Go to Top of Page

Fingolfin Taralom
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  17:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wasnt expecting that one to pop up... but i will agree
if he can say wookies i can say clingons!

Live with honor and die with honor
Go to Top of Page

angel564

Australia
77 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  07:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i luv elves,dragons and kender/halflings.

"A chicken with its neck wrung is different than a chicken with its head chopped off. But does it matter to the chicken?"-Tasslehoff
Go to Top of Page

Daimajoou

86 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  09:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arg, hard to say. I've enjoyed every race that I've played in DnD, and I'd hate to have to choose between them, you know? And each one can be intriguing in Fantasy books as long as they're well written.
I do know that it took me a long time to differentiate between gnomes and dwarves (outside of Dragonlance tinker gnomes), especially with the Underdark gnomes in Forgotten Realms. It took a very strange and...risque... DnD sourcebook to really set the difference in my head.
Anyway, I don't think I could choose an overall. Too many in separate worlds that I can't just pit against. In DL, it'd probably be kender, because they are so many kinds of amusing and they annoy everyone else on Krynn. In Faerun... eh, Illithids are cool, but I don't think they'd be a favorite. I am leaning towards Duergar, though, since I've been playing one in a FR campaign.
A fantasy that you guys likely don't know (dignified as gaslight fantasy or steampunk) that I've been really into lately called Girl Genius, my favorite race in that is probably a sort of construct (artificially created being) called Jagermonsters. Take a bugbear, have him hang out with kender for a while, make him Fizbanatically fixated on hats, and you've basically got a Jaeger. Oh, and give him an accent. Shomtink dat iz goot an' thick.

Go to Top of Page

gnarledrose
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  01:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't not say "kender," because just thinking about Tas makes me giggle. :P Though, I have to say, I think dragons get ripped off in most books-- they're used stereotypically "big and scary and you don't need to know anything else." which seems like a rip-off considering how many DnD books list a thousand different things about them. Minotaurs are under-utilized, too, as deep characters. I've never really "gotten" gnomes, excepting the Forgotten Realms/Underdark gnomes.

"We'll have to go out through the kitchen."
~Tanis, kicking off the adventure~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000