Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  21:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Link to Cover

Edited by - Sirch on 24 May 2007 00:10:40

Sirch
Advanced Member

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  00:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fixed your image link for you.

When I go in and look for a new book. Honestly first I go read reveiws or I normally get it suggested to me. But if I am in the book store just looking around, as I am on occasion, a good title will catch my eye. If the title gets my attention I'll read the synopsis on the back, if it still seems like something I would want to read I will read a few pages of the first chapter and a segment from the middle to see how the author writes. If it is interesting to me I will probaly buy.

-----
Thats the inherit beauty of the single file line. They can only kill the person in front! - Sarge
Go to Top of Page

gypsy

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  02:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think the title is more important than the cover art. When you go into a book store most books are seen from the spine not the cover (except of course the new ones on display in the front of the store and on endcaps). Cover art will not make or break a book, IMO. The title is a different story (no pun intended). It is the first thing most people will see, what engages a potential reader to pick it up in the first place. For new writers I think it is the only way to grab someones attention. The title draws them in and the synopsis is your chance to hook them. Once a writer is established and has some success then it just comes down to the storytelling, the ability to convey thoughts, feelings and connect a reader to a character or environment. If you can do that well, then the title and cover art only compliment the book and in most cases do no harm.
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  09:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for fixing the image!

Generally speaking, although a strong cover can draw me in for a closer look, it's the synopsis that will lead me to actually decide to read a book. If anyone gets a chance to check out my own synopsis (should be able to find it on Amazon) I would be very interested to hear views and opinions.

Thanks for replying!
Go to Top of Page

Daimajoou

86 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  11:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrreeaaagh! That picture is screwing with me. I don't know if I like it or hate it. There are things about it that are good, but there are things about it that look awkward that I don't think the artist meant to look awkward. I suspect that this artist is relatively new to the medium they're using for that picture, but is a talented and experienced artist nonetheless.

I've gotten books based on their covers before. I can't say precisely that I was disappointed or not in this. Most fantasy books with art have a tendency to annoy me since the picture I have more often than not felt wasn't accurate in some way. And Elmore kinda bugs me at times since his artwork looks flat to my eyes (I don't understand why most of the other people on this forum practically worship him and continue to lament that he's not somehow involved in the artwork for the movie), and he's just not terribly accurate, either. But though I should say a cover doesn't matter much, it should at least match, and you always do better to go with the better artwork (otherwise, they might think that you went for the lowest bidder and wont take your book seriously).

Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  16:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read the synopsis, and it was okay. It was a little repetitive about how much deception and trechery is going on. But I figured that to mean there will be alot of plot twist to keep me on the edge of my seat while reading. Also the journey into the Heart of Darkness caught my attention. Thats a really big refrence to a very classic work of art that really stood out for me. My initial impression of the two teens climbing a tree and then findig themselves in a magical dream world reminded me alot of narnia, which are very childish books. But that impression changed when I read that last sentence.
I'll keep an eye out for it in my book store.
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  18:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for your comments on the synopsis. You're quite right about the way the synopsis reads. My intention was to write a novel that has the conventions of a children's story (Narnia etc.) but gradually becomes something more psychologically challenging with a spiritual dimension. Whether I've succeeded will be decided by those who read it, so I hope you may get a chance to tell me what you think :)
Also, you could always order it from your library if you can't find it in your local bookshop!

Edited by - MarkJohnH on 25 May 2007 14:46:13
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  09:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've posted an extract from my book here: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockley/myhomepage/mywork.html

If anyone gets a chance to read it I would be grateful for some feedback.

Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  16:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a little put off by going pretty much straight into dialogue. I don't know the characters yet, so I'm not particularly interested in what the have to say. But when they entered the room, it got my attention. I want to know who this wolf is, why the door can disapear, and who the heck is Mo and why would he be tied up?

All in all it reads very similar to the synopsis. Which is a god thing in my opinon. I love being able to judge a book by its cover.
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  22:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

Glad you found it intriguing. It's tough deciding what to post as a kind of teaser and I guess, as you say, coming in somewhere part way through the story can be a bit confusing. But I'm pleased you want to find out more :) And if you decide to read the whole book I would be extremely interested to hear your opinion on it.
Go to Top of Page

james
Advanced Member

Canada
2800 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  23:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad to help. Its not everyday I get to share my opinons with an author. Got a thing or two I'd like to tell M.W. about some recent books.
Go to Top of Page

Shade0837

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  18:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking as someone who reads ALOT and worked in a Bookstore (and now a Library). This has been my personal experience (take it for what it is worth, my opinion as to how things work)

First "Your Last Name" will determine where your book is and how much shelf space you have to work with. (ex: if your name is in the R-Z range you are in the crowd and will not get much room to set your book apart from everyone else's. Yes there are not a lot of writers with the last name U - Z but all their space is taken up by the S and T names). Important yes but really not much you can do about it. The fewer last names in your part of the alphabet the better chance you will get a facing.

Second "Catchy and Fitting Cover Art", Yes it maybe hard to find a work of art that is both, if you are not having it commissioned. But good art work will get you a "Facing" (having your book set so people can see the cover art) if the Stocker Clerk likes your art, even over bigger names. Fitting Cover art will not give your readers any cause for complaint, I can not tell you the number of times people would tell me the picture has nothing to do with the story (a few even asked about false advertising laws). Best of all "Cover Art" attracts readers who are just "Walking By" the section with your book in it.

Third "Title" like what was said before from the Spine it needs to be able to grab attention (Yes it is a tough sell, some people swear by Flashy lettering or bright colors), but personally I think it has to be the Wording. This more than anything else will get the book into peoples hands (librarys and many bookstores auto-spine new authors so it is the Title that you need to prefect). This gets you people who are looking for a book in your section, they will go shelf by shelf looking for a title to catch their eye.

Last "The Synopsis" At this point the book is almost theirs, customers are 50% more likely to buy a book that they have in their hands (I am fairly sure it is much higher than that). The Customer liked the title and cover art, which if both are fitting that means they where looking for a book like yours. Your Synopsis should emphasize the connection between the cover art and the title while giving a brief plot and/or setting the stage for the book.

I have know people who buy book because of the "Bio", Reviews, or Endorsements.
Anyway I am going to start looking for your book.
Good Luck with it

It has been said that the one most susceptible to an illusion is often the one who has cast it, for he of all people MUST believe in its worth"
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  20:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shade :)

Thanks for all of that excellent info. Very much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Loki of the Lance

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2007 :  18:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am sorry to say that i take to judging a book by its cover unless someone has refered it to me or i have been reading the previous books in the series.

Est Sularas est Mithos
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  08:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to let anyone know who may be interested that I've added another excerpt from my book The Magic Lands at this link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockley/myhomepage/mywork.html
As always, feedback would be very much appreciated :)

Edited by - MarkJohnH on 18 Jul 2007 14:11:10
Go to Top of Page

MarkJohnH
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  14:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would post a character breakdown from my book for anyone who is interested. As always feedback would be appreciated

Tom Lewis.
Jack Barton.
Two boys about to embark on a journey that will take them toward adulthood, a change embracing both enlightenment and loss. Two boys who will discover a place apart from the world we know, a realm where dreams and reality seem to interweave and deception is at the heart of everything.

Mo.
To the boys he is a badger, an animal. But one capable of speech, capable of far more than they suspect. To Tom and Jack he is a mentor, a guide, but as their journey unfolds, they will discover that he holds the key to many mysteries and keeps hidden from them many secrets.

The White Wolf.
A beast, a cruel adversary. But one with a purpose. One who delights in the darkness. One who enjoys the deadliest of games where life and death are but the smallest of wagers.

Dredger.
A warrior from the past, held in limbo for so long his mind may well have become unhinged. A man who holds duty above all things, but who carries a darkness within his soul that may be not only his own undoing, but also bring down those who he has sworn to protect.

Lisa.
The girl of Tom’s dreams. Or his nightmares. Enigmatic, innocent and yet sensual. A mystery.

Ira.
An old man who has travelled further than can be possibly imagined. A man who must send his only son on a quest that may very well lead to death, or perhaps things far worse than death.

Geheimnis.
A man who wears a mask. An enemy or an ally? A dangerous man, if indeed a man he is.

A disparate band brought together to find a solution to a question asked at the dawn of time. To find a reason for both the darkness and the light. To find hope. But also to pay the price.

I have posted two short excerpts from THE MAGIC LANDS at this link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockley/myhomepage/mywork.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000